The 32nd annual Gold Coast Science Competition aims to raise the profile of STEM in our community and encourages students to demonstrate their STEM abilities by entering a project into one of six categories. The competition is the largest of its type in Queensland and the competition is fierce with over 500 entries received in 2017.
-Stimulate interest in science and provide a valuable science experience to students
-Students get to pursue an independent project of their choice
-Provides an opportunity for students to showcase their high-quality work to an audience greater than their classroom teacher
-An opportunity to provide recognition to quality student work
-Serve as a challenging, extracurricular assignment that allows students to investigate a scientific problem that interests them
-Importance for teachers in the joy of seeing their students do well beyond the classroom
-Creates a competitive spirit amongst students to strive towards continual improvement.
1. Scientific Investigations
2. Engineering & Technology Projects
3. Classified Collections
4. Communicating Science
5. Environmental Action Project
Registration is open to divisions from Prep to Year 12 with the below divisions:
-Years 1 and 2
-Years 3 and 4
-Years 5 and 6
-Years 7 and 8
-Year 9 and 10
-Years 11 and 12
Requirements of Entry:
1. Each entry must include a statement from teacher confirming the entry is 100% the student's work.
2. Schools registering entries are to supply at least one judge for the judging at the Queensland Academy for Health Sciences on Monday 30 August (4pm - 6.30pm). You may park in the QAHS carpark for the judging process.
3 .$5.00 per entry -An invoice will be sent to schools once the competition has completed.
For more information:
Download the 2018 Science Competition Booklet which provides additional information about the competition and guidelines for each category.