Professor Beryl Exley, Deputy Head of School, School of Education and Professional Studies, Griffith University
Mr Liam Exelby, Founder and Director of YXL Institute; Linda Eager, Director, Teacher Enhancement Centre, Kelvin Grove State College; Susan Brook, Capability Manager, Teaching & Learning Centre, South East Region, DoE; Natalie Horrobin, Education Services Advisor (Teacher Quality), ISQ; Karon Bool, Talent Acquisition Partner, Cath Ed Careers Qld
This half-day intensive workshop will be focussed on attracting and retaining high quality staff for school leaders across the sectors. The purpose of the symposium is to support school leaders' to understand and enact effective practices to recruit high quality teachers in the midst of a staffing shortage, and how to support these high quality teachers to remain in the profession, and step up to become our future leaders.
The following questions/topics will be addressed:
- What is considered "best practice" in terms of attracting high quality staff (both graduate and experienced teachers)?
- What are effective interview practices to determine "best fit" for the school?
- What makes a high-quality staff member leave? What makes them stay?
- What are the current challenges for schools of teacher education and solutions at a time of a significant teacher shortage and undersupply?
- Who is currently entering our workplace (demographics of current cohorts)?
- What are the key differences between young graduates and graduates who have chosen to retrain as teachers?
- What are graduates looking for in a workplace? What types of support do they need/ want?
- What strengths do our current gradates bring to the workplace? What are they challenged by?
- How do we attract and retain Generation Z- what are their unique characteristics and how do Generation X employers cater for their needs?
- Challenges for graduates
- How schools can support
- What quality mentoring looks like
- Retaining quality graduates
COST (includes refreshments):
PDN Member: $88 (GST incl)
Non-Member: $110 (GST incl)
RSVP on or before Friday 2 September 2022 07.27 am, by email firstname.lastname@example.org , or by phone 07 37355626 , or via https://www.griffith.edu.au/arts-education-law/school-education-professional-studies/opportunities/professional-development-network/upcoming-events